28th March 2020
Wild Garlic Focaccia Rolls (makes 6 rolls)
150g '00' flour
150g Strong White Bread flour
5g dried fast action yeast
15g olive oil
180g warm water (60g recently boiled/120g cold)
100g wild garlic (washed, finely chopped)*
*Always ensure you are 100% confident of your identification before using any plant you have foraged yourself.
- Preheat oven to 200C fan and chill a 30x20cm baking tray in the fridge.
- Sift together flours into a mixing bowl
- Add salt and mix well
- Add yeast and mix well
- Form a well in the centre of the bowl
- Pour boiled water onto olive oil and mix well, add to the cold water and mix well
- Pour the water and oil mixture into the bowl and mix to form a dough
- Knead vigorously on a lightly floured surface for around 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky
- Form the dough into a tight ball and transfer to a clean bowl covered with a clean damp tea towel.
- Set in a warm place to proof for around an hour
- Gently knock the air from the dough and knead for a further 5 minutes
- Stretch the dough out to fill the chilled baking tray and return to the fridge for 1 hour
- Transfer the rectangle of dough onto a clean floured surface and cut into 6 equal rectangles
- Fill the centre of each rectangle with chopped wild garlic leaving around 5mm on each edge.
- Roll the rectangles into a cylinder and pinch the long edge to seal
- Gently flatten each cylinder to around half its height.
- Set aside to proof for around 30 minutes.
- Heat a deep tray on the lowest shelf of your oven, and a flat tray on the middle, for 5 minutes
- Half fill the bottom tray with boiling water
- Transfer the rolls to the heated top tray, eggwash and bake for 8-10 minutes, until hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom.